There's been a lot going in the world and it's important to take time to nourish mind, body, and spirit - however you choose to define it. Below are some recommendations to support family fitness and community wellness.
- Our Librarian friend Katie has recorded this Mindful Breathing Exercise (with breathing buddies). Does your child have a special animal friend?
- Enjoy this upbeat song from Sesame Street and friends for self-regulation. Can you practice your belly breath?
- Did you know Kaiser members can receive a FREE Premium membership for the CALM app? This app provides soothing sounds for sleep and mediation.
- Librarian Nichole from Eastmont put together this list of mindfulness books for kids.
- A library favorite, Misty Waters will debut two bilingual yoga sessions this week. Recordings will be able on OPL's YouTube channel.
- Get moving with Go Noodle - videos that combine learning activities and fitness routines
- Healthy eating keeps a body strong... check out these food distributions sites around Oakland. The 81st Avenue, Chavez, and West branches are on the list. OUSD is also distributing free meals this summer.
- PBS Kid's Lunch Lab has some kid-friendly recipes.
- Gabi Garcia, the author of Listening to My Body has created a downloadable activity guide on sensations, available in English and Español.
- Learn about the body from Medline Plus
- Fighting the Virus with Trink & Sam is a multilingual resource that includes a story, downloadable booklet, and parent guide.
- Self-care can do wonders for the spirit? What does self-care look like in your family? Popsugar published - 45 Self-Care Activities to Help Busy Kids Unwind and Take a Breather
- When things make us sad it becomes necessary to have difficult conservations. PBS Kids has put together this wonderful resource on Talking to Young Children About Race and Racism
- A number of authors participated in a virtual rally #KidLit4BlackLives addressing anti-racism directed at children, families, and educators. Check it out if you'd like some food for thought.